24 April


Day 24

Actually from Day 23, but late...a letter to Shakespeare on his birthday


Dear Will

Your birthday is the same as your death day
in legend. A playwright’s neat contrivance
but I'd credit you with more than that
if you were your own creation,
as I am. There is no coincidence
There is no Deus ex, no fateful storm

We write the geology strata by strata
We are territory now, beyond plot -
forget the sad old men,
yourself included, all those jealous
kings, those senile gods
those envious middle managers
promoted above their station

I'm all verse and nothing -
I walk in structured pentameter,
in loose, worn clothing.
I write in blue blood like my eyes
I'm Sycorax, killed off before first act,
leaving the island motherless

There’s Prospero, father of all your books,
writing just to burn them, making
smoke to choke the plague
It spreads from London to Stratford
and you haven't many children left to spare
and nothing but words to save them

I am your co author, 
I'd allow the characters to breathe and eat, be agents
though I know the power of symbols on a page-
Sycorax washes her long blue hair,
Miranda, to survive, traps gulls, snaps their white necks,
Prospero eats air, scratches letters in the dirt

You lock yourself away in text
like a voice in Trees
singing terrifying songs.
I whisper in Miranda's ear - 
She'll take a knife into her wedding bed
to trim the form of her own sonnet

No comments:

Post a Comment