19 April

Day 19

No prompt - Everyone has been posting photos of themselves at 20 today - I am no exception. This poem is inspired by that photo

Relic


Everyone was beautiful at 20, 21
or at least, fresh and unwritten,
hardly touched. In this photo
my skin is almost blank.
I feel that it would have this texture-
cold and milky, if I stroked my face.
Everyone was beautiful at 20, 21

It's a wand I hold here, I swear,
between my fingers' index, little white
like magic or a weapon-
O I was sophisticated,
keeping my hands mouth busy
with the cheap, tar alchemy.
It's a wand I hold here, I swear

I am hardly out of girl,
my face still plump, unmade-
poor moonlike me,
Men would pursue me down the street
to tell me of the phases of my look
Imagine this now.
I am hardly out of girl

I am smiling, but not smiling;
only I can tell-
too many bangles weighing down my arms,
copper and verdigris .
I'm glad I found myself adorned and saved
like an important burial, perhaps a princess.
I am smiling, but not smiling

I hardly recognise myself
but I remember everything this archive holds-
the ancient books of gold,
the paper burning down, the smoke, years gone
when I should have been writing that essay,
long overdue, on Paradise Lost.
I hardly recognise myself

No comments:

Post a Comment